Although an essential part of our economy, semi-trucks cause a shocking number of crashes and deaths every year. In Texas, big trucks contributed to at least 589 deaths in 2018—a number that’s far too high.
Semi-trucks are some of the most dangerous vehicles on the road because of their size and weight. Fully loaded, a tractor-trailer can weigh up to 30 times the average family car. When they collide with another vehicle, the forces are massive and potentially life-threatening.
What Is My Truck Accident Claim Worth in Katy, Texas?
There’s also a lot that can go wrong and cause a crash. Some common causes of truck wrecks include:
- Speeding or driving too fast for the conditions
- Unsafe maneuvers and lane changes
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Overloaded or improperly loaded trailers
- Driver fatigue or drowsy driving
- Poor weather conditions or bad roads
- Defective or poorly maintained trucks and truck parts
Other times, the trucking companies are to blame. Trucking companies have one goal: to make money. This can lead irresponsible companies to cut corners when it comes to safety. These shortcuts can cause crashes or make them worse. Common misconduct includes:
- Incomplete or sloppy repairs
- Inadequate maintenance
- Insufficient training for drivers
- Negligent hiring
- Pressuring drivers to drive extra hours or skip mandatory rest breaks
- Overloading trucks
These reckless decisions contribute to truck crashes every year, but it shouldn’t be this way. Negligent trucking companies and reckless drivers should be held accountable when their actions cause someone else harm.
But trucking companies are also notorious for hiding evidence that could help crash victims. That’s why it’s so important to work with an experienced Texas truck crash lawyer after you’ve been in a wreck. We know how to investigate big companies’ wrongdoing, hold them accountable, and offer injured people the support they need.